Saturday, July 6, 2013

Fresh Fig Jam


Our tree is producing about 20 figs a day which is more than we can eat up just plain so I have been looking for new ways to use them up. I first tried fig ice cream which was delicious, but this fresh fig jam is by far our favorite. With the little added ginger and lime zest this jam has a sweet and exotic flavor. It is wonderful on our Pain de Campagne (French country bread) which came out much better the second time around.


I began by following this recipe I found via pinterest and after just two minor substitutions ended up with the recipe you see below. Enjoy!

Fresh Fig Jam

20 fresh figs chopped into quarters
zest of three small limes (the ones I used are about the size of a ping pong ball)
juice from three limes
1/4 cup raw honey
1/4 cup organic coconut sugar
1/2 t grated fresh ginger (or powdered)
1 cinnamon stick

Optional: I added about 1/2 t of Great Lakes Gelatin as it was cooking to help set the jam.

Place everything into a sauce pan and heat with a medium heat stirring regularly until the jam begins to thicken. Once cool you can put it into a jar. It keeps in the fridge for about two weeks if it lasts that long. (smile)

Follow my Nourishing Traditions Pinterest board for more ideas for figs etc. I am thinking to try the fig gallette next.





No comments:

Post a Comment